Sunday, June 2, 2013

The 30th Annual Hot Tamale Bicycle Tour

Saturday, June 1, 2013



Last year's Hot Tamale Bicycle Tour is what inspired me to start this blog.  After having two flats and one chain derailment, I started blogging about my Flat Tire Adventures.  Fast forward one year and we have the 30th Annual Hot Tamale Bicycle Tour and I'm still at it.  I'm still riding and still blogging, but with less flats and more adventures.

This time we were joined by two friends, Don and Brian.   We chose the 62 mile option, but it really ended up being about 58 miles.  Brian was out in front on the way back, and I think he took a short-cut.

Her is Mr. Don Smith hiding from me and my camera.


We started in Waldo, Ohio and passed these huge silos.


The first food stop was close, only 7 miles into the ride.  


They are known for their delicious homemade cookies and especially the famous orange cookies (in the big plastic container).  They are especially delicious and I look forward to them every year.


This is the designated trike parking at the rest stop. 


We passed many Amish Buggies along the roadways and even an Amish Farmer plowing his field.  I refrained from photographing them out of respect.  We were almost trampled by a couple of oncoming Amish horses along the route.  Apparently they have never seen trikes before and got a little upset.  Good thing the drivers were able to control them and save our lives!  


One of the food stops was at the LaRue Volunteer Fire Department. 


There was some pretty scenery along the way.


Here we are following Don Smith.


That's Brian behind us.


"On your left!"


This sign was posted at the Fire Station.  WARNING.


BEARS!  We found the bears!  And tigers, too.

Luckily we were safe from the bears.  It appears they were tied to the trees and couldn't attack us after all.  However, we were chased by a couple of dogs and almost trampled by those horses.  Oh and I forgot to mention the peacocks.  I never did see them, but I heard them screaming. 


Here's a horse that did not try to trample us.


This might have been the worst torture of all.  Strong headwinds on our way back.  

We were so glad to see the silos at Waldo!

The following photos were taken by the nice volunteers along the ride:

This is our train of trikes.  Todd & Me on our tandem followed by Don and Brian.


From left to right:  Brian, Don, Todd and Me.
Yes, we're in it for the flags!




3 comments:

  1. We are so glad you came back this year. I have found that I can control many things but the Man upstairs always chooses the weather for us. I'm sure you startled those horses with how low you sit, glad you were safe. So glad you all had a good time this year and thanks for bringing your friends too. Janine Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine! We enjoyed every minute of the ride. Too bad we can't control the weather and have someone turn off those wind machines. We love animals and I felt bad startling those horses. I may have exaggerated a tad when I said we were almost trampled, but we did startle them for sure.... good thing the men controlling the horses were paying attention and reacted quickly. Haha!

      Delete
  2. That is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete